This Page

has been moved to new address

Photo Friday: The Vagabondboy

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Vagabond Kids: Photo Friday: The Vagabondboy

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Photo Friday: The Vagabondboy


A trip to Phuket Thailand, Spring 2002

In the first nine years of my life, I think I traveled to exactly 2 foreign countries. Canada and Mexico. I think I did not go beyond those 2 countries, and my own home country of the USA for an additional 10 years. At the age of 19 I stepped out of my comfort zone and went to Germany with stops in France and Austria. Not a huge step into the un-known, but quite enough for me.

Taipei Taiwan
Taipei Taiwan 2002

Now, contrast that with my Son’s first 9 years. He was born in Taiwan. Traveled to China, Hong Kong, Macau, Thailand, the continental US and Guam, as well as Singapore and Japan all before he was 2 years old. A few more years he has made trips to Thailand an annual event, with side trips to Malaysia, Indonesia and the island of Borneo as well as semi-annual trips back to the US and a trip to Mexico. Not bad for a kid who does go to school from August to June and whose parents work full time.


In honor of my third culture son, who is celebrating his 9th birthday with an Indiana Jones Adventure birthday party this weekend, here are some highlights of some of the explorer's trips around the world.


ZhuJiaZhao China circa 2002
Shanghai China, Summer 2002




Macau Leal Senate


Macau Fall 2002

Tokyo Japan
Japan Fall 2002




Declan in Guam
Guam 2003



beachpenang1


Penang 2004

Singapore Zoo Singapore Zoo

Declan in Phuket 2006
Phuket 2006

P1010045
Mulege Baja Mexico 2007

Declan Dancing with the Headhunter Sarawak

Kuching, Sarawak, Malaysia 2008


Disneyland Disneyland 2010




Sharing these as part of Photo Friday on Delicious Baby visit her page for more great Photo Friday posts

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At September 11, 2010 at 1:30 AM , Blogger Travelers Barista said...

ADORABLE children you have! Love all the pics!

 
At September 11, 2010 at 1:32 AM , Blogger Travelers Barista said...

Oh and PS - I didn't step out of my own STATE until I was 12yrs old and my parents moved us to Washington from California. It was a shock for me in many ways and possibly the reason I love traveling the world now.

 
At September 12, 2010 at 1:55 AM , Blogger Soultravelers3 said...

So cute and happy birthday to your vagabond son! I hear ya too, although I did a lot of traveling in my childhood too, my child has me beat by a mile. ;)

She just turned 10 a few days ago & started traveling at just 2 weeks old ( her first hotel!) but we did all of it the first 5 years in the great state of California which is bigger and more diverse than most countries. We wanted her to know her home & be able to add books and reading to her international travels.

So when she was 5 we took off on an open ended, non-stop family world trip, so now she is a very fluent trilingual/triliterate that has been to 32 countries on 4 continents & over 200, 000 miles ( most overland). We plan to add another continent and at least 10 more countries this year.

She can find her way on her own on ANY subway in the world & is also an expert on cargo ships, sailing, buses, trains, funiculars, trans-country overnight ferries, walking, hiking, biking horseback riding, camel riding etc in MANY countries.

Vagabonding kids rock & travel is the best education! Looking forward to meeting you when we get out there this year and start wintering in Asia for the next several years. Do your kids speak Mandarin?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home